Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Where now?

I am stuck in a poker rut I think. I am doing fine in the last 2 weeks and have practically erased the disatrous September I had. However, this doesn't stop me musing on where my poker is taking me.

What I am doing:
I play about 3 tournaments a week (on average), almost always in the Fitz, and at weekends or occasional weeknights I play Omaha cash games too. This has been my pattern for quite some time, and the big result has not happened.

What I should be doing:
Play less weekly tournaments, play more online and concentrate my live play on specific tournaments such as the plethora of 200-300 games that are monthly affairs in various places. Online I could concentrate on trying to qualify for bigger events as well as having a much bigger game selectionto choose from at any given time.

The problem with me and the above is that I enjoy playing live. I enjoy the banter, the sensory overload that comes from a live game, and also the challenge of primitive mano et mano (or womano) poker action. I don't particularly enjoy online, and don't take it seriously enough to ever be in danger of turning a big profit from it. Usually I only play the games I enjoy online, i.e. Pot Limit Omaha and usually also play above my bankroll as I definitely do not like microlimit playing. I lack discipline at times, but that is due to my lazy streak, which is more than a streak really to be honest.

I am sure I will get to a point where I will either give up the pretence that I am going to change or I actually do change. Another, and perhaps more likely outcome, is that I reach a happy medium. I know I should play more online, and I am in the process of withdrawing money from most of the sites I play in and consolidating it in Neteller, probably moving it to PokerStars where it would become a semblence of a proper bankroll rather than small amounts spread over various places.

To do the above I had to ring Neteller to get them to reactivate my account as it was closed when I logged in to it in work. They asked me did I log in from the UK at one point, and then the penny clicked. Where I work is routed via a UK server as it is a British company that I work for, and this would explain that question. I believe the problem came when a location outside my stated country was seen to try and access my account. They were very helpful and despite being on hold for about 7 minutes at the start due to a queuing system, I had the issue resolved in less than 10 minutes. I was dreading that they were going to ask for passport scan etc, as I never got asked for that information when I linked my bank account to it, but thankfully it was only security questions, which really aren't that secure to anyone that knows anything about me at all.

I am looking forward to the 500 game in the Fitz on Saturday 28th, as I have 475 in credit from recent tournaments, so I will be looking to use that to play in the 500 game. I was hoping to play in it last month, but the way things were running I could not justify it to be honest. it did however look like a good structured game with 8k starting stack and a 45 minute clock. Hopefully it will get 60+ runners, but due to the fact that it is on the same weekend as the EPT events in the Regency I am not sure how numbers will be.

Events I would like to play in the next 6 weeks and likelyhood of playing:
Fitz EOM Oct - 60%. I may have to work that night :-(
Fitz 500 - 80%. I have to dodge part of a birthday celebration weekend (not mine).
Green Joker Poker 250 - 25%. I keep meaning to go but never get round to it.
Green Joker Poker Festival 1000 - <5%. Would love to play but it is too much money to splash.
GJP 300* - 75% - Likely to play in this one I think. Supporting event to the 1k game.
GJP 200* - 25% - Will play in this if I can't play in the 300 game.
EPT - 0.00001% - Will play in this if a miracle happens to give me loads of money.
EPM - 0.0001% - Again, very unlikely. Possibly more qualifiers in the SE for this I might play.

I think I need more money to be honest, but who doesn't. Bye for now, and see you at the tables.

* I think these events are 300 and 200. They may be 400 and 300.

No comments:

Hit counter