Tuesday, November 07, 2006

SE 200 game

I had been somewhat looking forward to playing in the Sporting Emporium 200+20 deepstack game since the last one, which I could not play in, so I arrive early and I am actually the first person registered for the tournament proper, although there are 3 satellites going on altogether for this when I go in. I don't bother playing one as I was going to pay in anyhow, so don't really like overpaying for a tournament of this size.

I had feared there would be a low turnout as it seemed it was going to be that was at the appointed start time, but when the numbers eventually settled down there were 61 runners, which was a decent turnout considering this is the second time only that this ran.

I sat down to my table and wasn't too impressed with this table as there were too many good players, such as Laim Flood, Eoin Olin, Dave Masters and Sikes (from boards, don't know his real name) as well some other guys I didn't know. I was assigned to seat 2 and proceeded to play like a donkey for the first 5x30 minute levels. It didn't help that I was card dead, and the few hands that I chose to play I played terribly.

At one point just before the break my first key hand hapopens. I have 3600 in total, with blinds at 150-300, and with 1 limper I make it 1300 to play with 22 from one off the cutoff. Part of the reason I make this play is because I have been palying so tight and think it unlikely I will get a caller unless there is a monster out there, and part of it is because I have to do something to accumulate chips at this point. It is folded to the BB who thinks and pushes all in. I am well covered and when it is folded back to me I think for a minute and decide that I am pot committed, so I make the call, and he flips over AK for a race situation. The board pairs on the flop to give him extra outs, but I survive and double up. A couple of blind takes in the next couple of hansd take me to just over starting stack at the first break. Things can only really get better.

After the break I had resolved to try to make better decisions and not play in the weak tight manner I had been playing in to that point. Easier said than done, but a few small pot wins soon after the break gave me a bit more confidence and I was gradually building some chips. Just when I was feeling comfortable with my table I was moved, and found myself at a table where I was fairly familiar with a lot of the players sucha s Ehsan (Gholimoli) to my right, Tony (Flushdraw) to my left, and Willow and Eamonn Connolly at the table also. I think I raised the first hand I played at this table, and continued to raise and take blinds far more often than I would have normally. I was feeling myself playing confidently, and getting reasonable, but still not premium hands. However, the button on my BB kept raising every time, and I came close to playing back a couple of times, but it seemed that he was just being a card rack as he showed hand after hand of premium pairs. through some decent play including the following against Tony, I got to a reasonable stack.

I have 88 (not sure of position, probably MP) and make a relatively standard open raise to approx 2100 with blinds at 300/600 with an ante of 50. Tony calls to my left. Flop comes TT4 (or similiar), and I check. Tony Bets 5k, and I go into the tank for a few minutes. I have around 18k back and Tony covers by maybe 7/8k. I cannot see Tony flat calling here and betting with a hand that beats me so I push and he folds after a dwell up and says he had 55, so good fold Tony. Another key hand here is where I flat call a raise preflop with AQ against a serial raiser and intend to bet out at any flop, which I do and he duly folds.

I knock out a shortstack (Deadparrot from boards) and I am motoring and around average stack (40k), but a big stack on the table. We are down to 2 tables at this stage and playing 6 handed.

Then I get moved to the other table and this is where most of the chips are residing, so opportunity and danger lurk in equal measure here. I get a raise reraised in short order and let it go, then I call a raise from UTG when I am BB with ATo. I flat call the raise, intending to bet out at any flop again. I do so with a 6k bet (about 7.5k in the pot) on a K97r board, which after a dwell up and a request for a count of my chips gets slightly worryingly called. A blank rag hits the turn and this changes nothing in my head, and even though I am well covered I have enough left to not get called by anything other than a strong holding. I push for 25k approx, and after a dwell up it is folded to me. I found out later he had J9 for second pair, but this was a holding he found it hard to call a push thankfully for half his chips.

When we break for the final table I still have around 40k with the average at around 54k, but with the blinds at the start of the 1k/2k level I am not under immediate pressure. the final table consists of a few faces I am somewhat familiar with and a few I am not. Eamonn Connolly, Ollie Boyce, Sikes, Mickste, Phil (the Hammers fan), Eoin, an American guy from Full Tilt and 1 other guy whose name I don't know make up the final table along with myself.

Ollie is the first causualty in one of the first few hands, and not too long after I take out the Full Tilt guy when my AKs hit to take out his 88. Flops and post flop play is at a premium which reduces what I firmly believe to be an edge I have over a lot of the remaining players. Most hands are of the fold, fold, fold, big raise, everyone fold type. I plug away and when Eamonn gets knocked out in 5th place we are near the end of the days play. The SE closes at 6am, which is most inconvenient as I want to get this played to a finish, but it is not going to happen. When John announces last hand of the night I am in the BB (4k), and when Eoin completes I decide to chekc with KT hoping to either lose a small pot if I miss or win a big one since my hand strength is farily disguised, and I know Eoin is an aggressive player who has a tendency on occasion to overplay hands and overbet them.

The flop come K87 (with 2 clubs) and is perfect for my purposes. Eoin comes out betting 12k and I flat call. Turn comes an offsuit 9 giving me an openended straight draw as well as top pair. To my surpriseEoin announces all in for around 65k, and it takes me a few seconds only to call. Eoin tables T4 and is drawing dead to a split pot, and a 2 on the river is no help to him and he is the 4th place finisher, pushing me into the slightest of chipleads. we talk deal but none happens so we are to come back on Sunday at 8pm to finish this off.

When we restart the chipcounts are as follows:

Me 201k
Mick 199k
Phil 89k

The first hand I am small blind, complete and fold to a flop bet. The second hand, I fold, Phil completes, Mick raises and Phil immediately pushes all in. Mick thinks for a minute or two and makes the correct call with 66 to see Phil tabling K2, but Phil hits 2 pair to double himself up, and put Mick under pressure. A few hands later I open raise (3k/6k/500) to 21k with AJo, and after Phil folds, Mick announces all in for around 105k. Mick has been the most aggressive palyer I have encountered over the course of the tournament, so this helped me reach a relatively quick decision and I called to see Mick table KTo. The flop brought a T and no more help for me to see him double up. This wasn't going to plan for me. Another lost pot and a few blinds later meant that I was down to under 50 and in serious danger. A couple of uncalled pushes plus some reraises when I was fairly sure Mick was weak, including the following hand helped me up to a stack of around 180k again.

Mick completes SB and I check BB holding J6. Flop comes QJT, and I am fairly sure I am ahead here and call a flop bet of around 15k. Turn is a T and goes check, check. River is another T and it is a funky dangerous board but even aftrer Mick bets 40k I don't believe him and push for my total of 80k which he folds to fairly quickly.

I am still stacking this when the next hand is dealt and I am SB with 56. Mick calls from the button, I complete, and Phil checks for a flop which comes a gorgeous 554. I pause from my chip stacking to check, Phil bets 17k, and Mick folds after a think. I flat call. Turn is a magnificant 6 which I check. Phil bets 30k, and knowing that I can't flat call this without totally giving away my hand I move in, which surprisingly is called instantly. Phil has the misfortune to be holding Q5 and misses the river, so he exits in 3rd place, giving me around 360k of the chips in play.

A couple of hands into heads up play I raise with A4o to 25k (4k/8k) and Mick moves in instantly. I call quite quickly given his known aggression in this situation, and am delighted when he tables Q4o to leave himself very much dominated. The dreaded Q hits the flop though to give him a slight chip lead. Another crucial hand happens with I check to see a flop when he complees the SB from the button. I have Q8 and am fairly happy with the TJQ flop. We had been discussing a deal at this pint, but it was decided to play on, at which point I bet 20k on that flop. Mick called and the 9 on the turn gave me a straight which was checked by both parties. The river was another T and I bet out 30k which Mick raised to 75k. I didn't like it too much but I called andways to see him table K9 for the flopped straight, and I was in dire straights now.

His aggression level increased again and I couldn't do anything about it as I did not want to play for all my chips with 62,52,72 etc which I got about 4 or 5 hands in a row. I eventually make a stand for about 85k with QJ and get called by K9. An 894 flop gave me 10 outs twice but neither happened so I had to be content with 2nd place.

I feel happy with my play after the first break, and the fact that I didn't dog anyone the whole tournament and was always either ahead or at worst in a race situation whne the money went in (including the unfortunate hand for Phil when 3 handed - I had made my house when the money went in, even though it would have went in regardless) made me feel good. The fact that I wsan't dogged until the last 3 either at any point was positive variance working in my favour, but I feel I played as well as I could and enjoyed the tourney as a whole. Well done to Mick too, his aggressive game played off in the end, and although I presonally feel I had the edge in experience and skill, his aggression sufficiently dulled that (if it even existed, but I have to believe it did).

I anyone reading this hasn't played in this before and enjoys a good structure tourney then this is one for you. It will be on the first Saturday of every month I believe in the SE and is excellent value for money given the structure.

See you at the tables.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great result, coming for a while now. Pity you didn't win it but what harm. And a nice way to continue the good run with your ticket to the full tilt gig. Well done.

Hit counter