Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Couldn't think of a title

The bank holiday weekend proved too much for me to resist and I got back into playing cash games I must report. Sunday started off with me going to the rebuy tournie in the Fitz. This was the oddest tournament I have played in a while. I had to rebuy after the first hand when I had AA, went all in again on the 3rd hand and won a race vs AK. Overall I had AA twice, KK, QQ twice, JJ, AK twice and I was still knocked out at 11.10 when my QQ got beaten by AJ. Ah well.

Onto the Omaha cash games and it started off reasonably slowly, My first decent hand of the night was when I flopped the nut flush from the BB and took a chance and checked it. One player bets 25, 1 caller and I call also. Turn is inconsequential. SB bets 50, I go all in for ~150 and take it there without a caller.

The biggest pot of the night is as follows. I have taken this as pretty much a cut and paste from a thread I started on boards.ie but I have filled in the gap at the bottom.

I make it €4 on the blind UTG, 5 callers, I have no live option. My hand AsTsKdTh.

Flop 9TJr (25)

I check (~400), next player (~375) bets pot, 1 caller (~150), I call to see turn.

Turn 5s (100).

This card gives me nut spade draw as well as the inside straight draw to the nuts and trips. This is the situation I am thinking about here. I have a huge draw (20 outs). Potentially the flop bet caller has a set of jacks but I dont think so (his call of the pony didn't look to confident). Even if he does, I still have 12 outs to the nuts (straight and flush).

Should I lead the betting into this pot in this big draw situation knowing that the player to my left almost certainly has KQ? He is normally a Hold'em only player. He knows enough about Omaha to know not to lead the betting with crap, but he is not a regular or tricky player. If I lead here there is a good chance all the money goes in now. If I check/call and hit there is a good likelyhood that I will not get paid, against most players anyhow.

Anyhow, I check, other guy bets pot (100), third player folds and I call.River J (300)Board now: JsTd9h5sJd

I lead with the underfull for 200, and after a think get called somehow and scoop the pot. I won a couple of other decent pots as well as missing a couple of draws and getting outdrawn a couiplf of times, but I leave at the bright and early time of 6.45 with a healthy profit.

Monday night I was going to give a miss, but have a trademark last minute change of heart and decide to play the 100 freezeout. There was a disappointing turnout of only around 45, and I was on a tough table featuring Vivian, Paddy, Niall O'Callaghan and Cecil, with Kevin Farrelly getting moved there too before the break.

There were 2 big hands that I was involved in before the break. Hand 1 (75-150) I get JTd in the BB and call a raise from Paddy (SB) to 650, and 3 of us see a flop of JcQdKd, so I have a pair and an open ended straight flush draw. Monster!

Paddy goes all in and I call for less than his bet (I had about 1800) and Cecil folds (had JT spades he says). I hit a 9 on the turn for my straight and Paddy's AQ is no good when the river is a blank.

Two hands later (100-200) I am on the button. It is folded around to Stewart (Loose, aggressive, shortstacked) and he goes in for 1025. Folded to me and I instantly call with AQo. SB goes all in for 550 citing value and then BB (Niall) thinks and calls. I wasn't too comfortable with this situation now to be honest as I felt that the size of the initial all in was big enough for me not to risk a raise to keep out marginal hands from the only 2 players still to act. Now I wish I had raised.

Anyhow, flop comes out A94r. Perfect thinks I, especially when Niall checks to me. I bet 2k into the pot and Niall reluctantly goes all in for 2475 which I call. Cards turned over and Stewart had KJo, I had AQo and Niall had AJo. SB had some other cards I can't recall, but irrelevant. Lovely thinks I, until the J on the turn cripples me and leaves me with only 2k to play with. Ouch.

I was thinking that I should perhaps have raised to isolate, but if I ran into a monster I would at least have had the opportunity to get away from it preflop which a flat call would allow. Ah well.

Things do not improve and I go out 3 hands after the break when my 44 run into KK. Stick my name on the Omaha there Denise, cheers.

Anyhoo, onto the Omaha cash game and it was a very uneventful game for me. The high point: 180 in profit. The low point: 90 down. I left at roughly the midpoint with 50 profit in this game and a small loss for the night.

Next up for me will probably be the new 150 game in the Fitz on Thursday night. I am away in Hamburg for a stag this weekend so won't be playing (poker at least).

Bye for now.

No comments:

Hit counter