Sunday, April 16, 2006

About time, and oh so close........

Last night I decided to forego the usual Saturday night drinks and play the round of each tournament instead. This is a tournament that I swore not to play again, but of course this only lasted about 2 months. There ere about 35 runners and before the break I was calling blind, raising blind and so on, and usually found monsters when I looked at my cards!!!

By the break, despite my best efforts I had no rebuys and about 7.5k including topup. After the break I played properly but couldn't increase my stack, it was win one, lose one. Then I decided to move allin on my BB if there were no raises, and I duly did and showed 35s when all folded. I think this helped me get callers on my next 2 monster Omaha hands so plan worked and I moved upt oone of the CL's. When the FT started I was the CL but not that much in it. Vernon got busy early on and knocked out 3 players to get a big chip lead, but then he pissed it all away to me thankfully when he called with second pair in a holdem hand to my weak top pair, and when he called my all in with a lower straight in Omaha when I had the nuts. I had the chance to knock out the 2 remaining other players in one fell swoop but I passed the winning hand when really I should have played as I had so many chips. When it got down to 2 I was bout 3-1 chiplead but when Alex suggested that we make it 700-500 instead of 800-400 I agreed and took the main chunk. Not a great prize but it'll do me.

Played the Omaha cash game then and a fairly uneventful night ended up with mr 50 down by closing time. There was a fair bit of needle in the game though which I wasn't too comfortable with as everyone knew each other, but there was no lasting damage, and due to the amount of swings created by dirty river cards I can understand it too.

The one controversial moment of the night came as follows:

Flop came Jc3c8h. All check.
Turn Tc. First Position allin for 35. Next to act and a few others folded.
River 9c. Snowy turns over KcQcxx fot he straight flush to the K. The allin drunk stranger turned over a straight. He had gone allin on a flush board with a straight!!! The bad thing here is that this made Neil fold his 7c8cxx which would have made a low striaght flush on the river. Snowy is adamant that he would have checked the turn for the bad beat with the pot small. The guy who had the straight tried to tell us that there were only 2 clubs when he bet, and when old there were 3 says 'ah sure, I didn't see them'. Muppet cost me and 6 others about 625 each, Snowy about 4250 and Neil abut 8500. Painful. Ah well, not much to be done for it. That is the nearest I have ever come to being on a bad beat table.

At least I still made about 600 profit last night, cancelled out Friday night.......

No comments:

Hit counter